The Student News Site of Musselman High School

The Cider Press

The Cider Press

The Cider Press

Tennis Snapshot
Tennis Snapshot
March 15, 2024
Stanley Tumblers
Stanley Tumblers
March 14, 2024

October Artist of the Month

October Artist of the Month

The artist of the month for October 2023, is Jennifer Rodriguez. She is a Senior at Musselman High school who was nominated by Mrs. Shirley, an art teacher at MuHS.

“She deserves recognition for her work. She is always focused, hardworking, and her artwork is outstanding,” stated Shirley. Jennifer also won artist of the month last year having been nominated by Ms. Burton. Clearly she rightfully earned artist of the month title.

When asked how long she has been doing art, Jennifer stated that she has always had a passion for art her whole life. In addition, she said that she will probably do art in the future, but not as a job, because, “it’s hard to make a job out of art for a living.”

Jennifer usually uses mediums like color pencils, acrylic paint, or regular pencils. Her drawings have so much realism, and you can really see the detail put into it. Art makes her feel calm, and helps her feel like she’s in her own space. She usually uses picture references, but she will draw from her mind from time to time. Her favorite art piece that she has done is the one with the bottle by the tree.

“It has been one of the biggest pieces I’ve painted and the most detailed. It took me many hours to finish,” stated Jennifer.

Jennifer gave advice for anyone else who enjoys art by encouraging others to try to draw things that you want, but go out of your comfort zone once in a while to expand your knowledge.

“My biggest advice would be to start with the basics of art and to not just start wherever so you’re not lost, and explore different techniques.”

Artist of the month is to recognize the artists in this school who don’t get congratulated for what they deserve. If you know of unspoken talented artists within MuHS, please reach out to The Cider Press or Mrs. Rjasko in room 601 for any future nominees.