The Student News Site of Musselman High School

The Cider Press

The Cider Press

The Cider Press

Tennis Snapshot
Tennis Snapshot
March 15, 2024
Stanley Tumblers
Stanley Tumblers
March 14, 2024

Travis Scott’s Utopia: Flop or Nah?

Travis Scott’s Utopia: Flop or Nah?

Travis Scott’s Utopia released on July 28th, 2023 after five long years of waiting. It generated more hype than any other hip-hop album this year, and accumulated more than five-hundred thousand sales, making it the most commercially successful of this year as well. It had 650 million streams within the first week making it almost instantly #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for over four weeks.

In Utopia, he describes his idea of a perfect destination. In anticipation of its release, Travis put up many billboards and advertisements of fake places to reveal his album. In the album, Travis makes a reference to the seven trumpets which are said to play at Heaven’s gates, and during a “Rapture” where humans are chosen to ascend to Heaven. This likely hints toward the album’s true meaning.

Unfortunately, our opinions align with millions of others when we say that the album was a complete failure and nowhere near as good as expected. Even though people were quite excited to see what Travis had to offer, it did not live up to the expectations. Utopia was hyped up way too long just to be underdeveloped, underwhelming and unfinished.

Because of the flop, people took to social media and backlash soon overwhelmed Travis. Though this isn’t the first time Travis has had his fans against him. After the 2021 Astroworld concert in 2021, some fans ended up being hospitalized, and some even lost their lives.

The most hyped track on the album, “K-POP,” turned out to be very difficult for fans to enjoy, even though Travis himself tried his best to make it appealing. The short teasers for the song made it seem better than it was, so when the full release of the song came out, many fans were left unsatisfied. Despite its lack of success, the most popular song on the album, “Meltdown,” gained around 101 million streams. Uniquely to go along with the album he would drop a movie called “CIRCUS MAXIMUS,” which similarly to the album, did not perform well. Hopefully in the future Travis Scott’s music will evolve and end up being received better, though until then Utopia will be a large, embarrassing dent in Travis’ career.