How do MuHS students and staff celebrate the Holidays?

Pictured+is+freshman%2C+MuHS+student+Nnarayn+Esperanzas+family+that+gathers+around+Christmas+time+to+celebrate.+

Nnarayn Esperanza

Pictured is freshman, MuHS student Nnarayn Esperanza’s family that gathers around Christmas time to celebrate.

Skyy Kuykendall and Aaliyah Peyton, Journalist

As the holiday season comes around everyone celebrates in their own way. Here at Musselman, we caught up with a few students and staff to ask how they celebrate!

Mrs. Yan, MuHS Chinese Teacher

Q: Do you and your family personally celebrate Christmas? If so, do you have any traditions that you guys specifically do on that day?

A: Yes, we usually make brunch and my husband reads bible verses to our children before opening gifts. Our children are given money to buy each other gifts for Christmas, and usually, it takes a lot of creativity for them to pick each other’s gifts.

Q: Do you have holidays outside of the original American holidays that you celebrate?

A: Yes we do! Oftentimes in the fall season, we celebrate a moon festival that includes spending time with family and eating moon pies and other desserts.

Q: Can you please educate me on the Chinese New Year?

A: The Chinese New Year consists of celebrating and bringing good luck and fortune to the new year, usually in the months of January and February. We usually give the younger kids crisp dollar bills for the holiday, and we try our best to give the same amount of money that we earn.

Q: What is the common Asian religion and how do they practice it?

A: Buddhism is a very common religion, focusing mostly on self-discipline and honoring the ancestors. Very commonly throughout a Buddhist’s life, they will go to their shrines with questions about life and receive answers from their god and ancestors. They will usually refrain from eating meat and some herbs.

Nnarayn Esperanza, MuHS Freshman

Q: Do you and your family celebrate Christmas and if so, how do you celebrate?

A: Yes, we do! My family is Filipino, which means we actually start celebrating in September. We begin decorating then and will make a ton of stars o hang around the house. We also attend church leading the whole way to Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve, many people in our community, including many cousins, will get together. Everyone brings food to share, and my favorite is macaroni salad!

Q: Is there anything different that you would do to celebrate when you lived in the Philippines?

A: When I lived in the Philippines, there was many festivals that would happen one after another from the end of November to December. There were pageants, dancing in the streets, singing, and fireworks. Boats would also be decorated as well! I got the chance to be a queen during one of the festivals and had the chance to decorate and ride on a float.