Movie Review Shazam: Fury of the Gods

Nathan Durham, Journalist

Shazam! Fury of the Gods is the sequel to Shazam. How do I think it held up against its original?

I will say I am a very happy camper after seeing this great film, and I believe this may be one of the best to touch the market in 2023. The year just started out and the box office is already throwing bangers at us.

Now getting to the juicy bits, the plot was good as a regular school attending kid, Shazam, tries to juggle being a student in the day and hero at night with his friends. In addition, his siblings also have powers. The movie is a little sad when it really comes down to it. These kids are putting their lives on the line, but still no one will give them the respect they deserve because they’re just kids.

Another amazing feature of this movie was the amazing work done by the animation team. There is a lot of CGI like all superhero movies, but I really like the CGI done for Shazam. All the movement looks very clean and crisp like a brand new can of Pringles. The flying scenes are not choppy at all, and the visual effects on the powers look amazing- really nothing to complain about there.

If there’s one thing I will say that’s personal preference I don’t like Shazam sharing powers with others. It’s a little crazy to me that he’s supposed to be a god like form and they gave five of his siblings that power. Now to me that seems like cheating and overkill, but I can get past it.

All in all it’s a great movie, and you should really take the time to sit down and soak up all the visual effects. I promise you won’t be disappointed.