The Student News Site of Musselman High School

The Cider Press

The Cider Press

The Cider Press

Tennis Snapshot
Tennis Snapshot
March 15, 2024
Stanley Tumblers
Stanley Tumblers
March 14, 2024

Old Tradition Made New at First Home Game of the Season

The 2023-2024 Applemen football team started off the season with a ton of train steam! On August 25th, 2023 at the Denny Price Stadium, the Applemen hosted the John Handley Judges from VA. The game day spirit was unbelievably high with old traditions and new coming together as the Applemen rushed onto the field.

Future Applemen ran onto the field to represent their youth football team and made a tunnel while Musselman High School’s head principal, Mrs. Riggleman joined by Stewart McDonald, introduced the new Apple Cart to the Musselman Family.

“Having the Applecart just puts a smile on my face, and to see us continue the legacy from the 80’s. But it does show what Musselman is true to tradition!” stated Riggleman.

The original Applecart was founded in 1981 by Stewart McDonald from The Apple Factory. The school had someone remake the Applecart and bring it back for the 25th anniversary of the new school. This is a part of the newest goal of modernizing old traditions.

Catching up with Musselman admin and alumni of the Class of 82′, Steve Campbell stated what he first thought of Applecart and what it holds: “It is nice to keep the history on, and it truly represents how Musselman started. As a player, whenever you see the cart drive around the track and rock back and forth while blaring that horn, it’s just an unreal feeling honestly.”

The Applecart was previously at the 1982 AA Football State Championship, which the Applemen ended up winning!

Applemen quarterback, Eli Fleming, who transferred in from Williamsport, Maryland from this past year remarked, “The atmosphere was electric and crazy, but overall I started to notice that’s how Musselman is and I love it. The first game was an absolute electric environment, and we look forward to keeping it this year.”

The team remarked how thankful for every old tradition that Musselman has with “Men of the Hammer” still being up to date with new traditions. Everyone was excited to see the first home game and look forward to the rest of the season, and hope everyone shows the Musselman spirit to push out team to the top.