The Student News Site of Musselman High School

The Cider Press

The Cider Press

The Cider Press

Tennis Snapshot
Tennis Snapshot
March 15, 2024
Stanley Tumblers
Stanley Tumblers
March 14, 2024

Beyond the Game: Manager Spirit of the Team

Musselman’s soccer team has gone through many changes this year. The team lost its star seniors as of last year; but with the coaching change, and some amazing performances, the chances of a shot at states are high.

The new coach, DeHaven, has earned high praises from the players. “DeHaven has made some changes that we’re glad to see,” says Conor Brown, the team’s starting right back. Coach DeHaven however, isn’t alone in his management of the soccer program. Steven Askin, who had previously been promised a position on the team, was moved to team manager upon Coach DeHaven’s arrival.

When asked about the coaching change and his new position, Askin responded, “The change was a hit for me. I had been guaranteed to play by (the previous coach), so at first I was planning on just being cut. Instead, I chose to move to manager to support the team I’d conditioned with all summer.”

The team in question has been very welcoming of Askin. Ethan Stegmaier, star center back for the team, says, “He is the life of the team. It wouldn’t work without him.” Stegmaier’s teammate, Conor Brown, shared the same opinion.

DeHaven shares his praise by saying, “Steven’s brought a lot of heart to the team, and he’s shown us our full potential. He helps to set up and break down practice. He helps to make sure we have all the equipment for the games and that everything is set up properly for games. He will also be in charge of music for our home games,”

With these revolutions, the faith in the team has grown strong. This ambitious coach, manager, and team have a real shot at going to states.